by Winston Perry, June 28, 2020 John Green, who built the stone house at 23 Main Street, Nyack, lived in an age when slavery was legal and accepted in New York State. Born in 1772, he experienced New York’s gradual emancipation, and the final elimination of slavery in 1827 before he died in 1842. Green’s … Continue reading “John Green in the Age of Slavery”
We have moved our museum to the first floor of 50 Piermont Ave. and we are excited to show off our new facilities. However, due to the Covid 19 pandemic, our Museum is temporarily closed. We plan a phased reopening as permitted by CDC and state guidelines. Watch for dates.
Due to the current Covid-19 situation, all walking tours have been postponed until further notice. Please watch our website for more information for future tours. We look forward to sharing the history, architecture, and personal stories of the Nyacks that them such special places.
The recorded presence of African Americans in Rockland County began at the same time that Europeans arrived in the region. African slaves and free blacks were a part of the Dutch community that settled here in 1687. According to census records from 1723, nearly one fifth of the 1,244 inhabitants of the county were African … Continue reading “A short summary of the long history of African American presence in Nyack – by Bill Batson”