Our exhibit “Mapping Nyack: a History of Maps and Mapping Techniques” runs through February 23, 2019, at the Museum of the Historical Society of the Nyacks. The exhibit features examples of maps of Nyack of different periods and styles from the 18th Century to the 21st. The oldest is a detail from a map of the area made by Robert Erskine for General George Washington in circa 1779. Maps from the early 1800s include surveys by Tunis Smith, owner of much of downtown Nyack, showing the future village divided into lots, and also his survey for the Nyack Turnpike which opened about 1830 and was responsible for much of Nyack’s growth.
In conjunction with the Turnpike map the exhibit features an original Turnpike toll sign, recently acquired by the Society. Wall maps and atlases from later in the 19th Century are represented by an 1859 Map of Nyack, published by M. Dripps and recently restored.
There are also examples of Sanborn Company maps, published every few years from 1887 to 1966 for the insurance business, and the 1950 Rockland County Photogrammetric Maps, that show conditions just before the midcentury explosion in population, and that were used to plan and plot that growth.
The great leap in technology in the 21st Century to interactive digital maps based on satellite imagery are represented by examples from the Rockland County Planning Department’s Geographical Information System and by viewers’ own telephones. The Museum is located at 50 Piermont Avenue and can be reached from the parking lot behind the Nyack Library. It is open Saturdays from 1:00 to 4:00 P.M.